She had this to say: “This last recipe was my mom’s…she used to make them every year at Christmas when I was young. They were light and sweet and bring back some wonderful fond memories.”
Grand-Meme’s Christmas Macaroons
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min
Total time: 20 min
Yields: About 3 dozen cookies.
2 egg whites
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 cup of shredded coconut
3 cups of Corn Flakes
18 candied cherries cut in half (red and/or green)
1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until very stiff.
3. Gradually add the sugar as you continue mixing.
4. Fold in the coconut and cornflakes.
5. Drop in small amounts on a greased cookie sheet.
6. Gently press a cherry piece into the centre of each.
7. Bake at 300°F for 10 minutes.