So here I am, sitting up until 1:30 in the morning, pre-filling out the Junior Kindergarten registration forms so that tomorrow morning I can take my daughter to register at the local French Immersion school. We called to arrange a visit last Friday, and dropped in for a quick peek. We wanted to register on the spot, but were told to come back on Tuesday. I wish it were already done with, then I wouldn’t be sitting her still worrying if I am making the right decision. It’s difficult. My girl is blessed to have two loving parents in her life, who both want what is best for her. My husband believes putting her in Junior Kindergarten is the best choice for her. I have my doubts, but it is not just my decision, but his as well. And hers? Well, she wants to go more then anything.
I want her to take French Immersion, and I want to keep her home until Senior Kindergarten. On the other hand my husband was leaning towards public school, and wants her to start in Junior Kindergarten. He has his doubts about French Immersion. He is concerned that that her English won’t develop as well, that we, as her parents, will need to learn French as well, that we won’t be able to help her with her homework. The compromise? French Immersion, and starting in J.K. I feel like as least now she will be learning something other then “socialization skills”. Also, after having visited each of them, my husband and I both agreed that we liked the French school better. Still I wonder if I am making the right choice, and tonight, while it still seems revocable, I feel small and sad.
So I go back and I read the replies you folks made on my previous Kindergarten post, and I take comfort in your comments.
I know several of you suggested that I could pull her out, after she starts, if it didn’t seem to be working out. But I just can’t see doing that. She wants this so badly. If I let her start school, and then later pulled her out I think she would be crushed. Things would have to go hellaciously wrong before I could consider this as a serious option.
As much as I wish that Junior Kindergarten were still a half-day program, and I feel quite strongly about this, I also feel that having her attend for only half the day is not the answer. She would miss out on things her class-mates would be doing, and she would be marked as different, for having to go home after only half a day. As well, while the school does have to honour your request to have your child attend only half a day, I don’t believe they need to provide bus transportation. Which means unless I have a way to pick her up, she needs to be there all day.
I agree with the argument that children can learn socialization skills without attending public school. However, we are not currently part of any regular play groups, Sunday schools, etc. I definitely feel that if I were to keep her home I would need to make more of an effort to get her out more regularly to the public library, the early years centre, play groups, something. And to be honest, I’m not sure this is something I would follow through on, because I don’t like people, and I like staying at home. There, I admitted it. Maybe my kiddo isn’t the only one that needs to work on social skills.
She will be going on the bus, so she will be at the school all day and take a lunch. This should actually work out better then having her walk home for lunch hour. Though I do so hope that she will focus and actually eat. As I’ve mentioned before my girl is easily distracted and eats at a snail’s pace. I still have concerns as to how much she will end up consuming within the relatively short lunch time period.
No, I won’t.
I don’t wanna.
Excuse me while I bounce off the walls.
I know in my heart that she will love it, and that she will thrive, or I wouldn’t even consider sending her. I am still ridiculously nervous about going to register tomorrow. Silly, I know. I am eager to find out when and where the bus drop will be, so we can start to try and figure out a schedule. Kindergarten classes don’t start until next week, so she should be starting on the 13th. I guess I’ll probably be a nervous wreck until after that. Wish me luck guys.