Summer vacation has officially started. No school for two glorious months. No making school lunches, and no running to the school bus in the morning. Just non-stop lazy days with my two favourite little people. This isn’t to say my children don’t drive me mad approximately forty thousand times in any given day. The house is a mess and I’m not finding enough time to write. But there are popsicles and fireflies and little kid giggles, and that makes up for an awful lot.
So here are six reasons why secretly I’m really digging summer vacation:
1. Because in the words of my six year old, “Crocks and no socks, summertime rocks!” She has decided she isn’t wearing socks again until September. I’m good with this, particularly since it means I can now freely ignore our growing miss-matched sock pile. No more aggravating minutes spent trying to pair up little multi-hued stockings (well at least not for sixty more days, give or take).
2. Because any clothes goes. I do demand they change outfits at least once a day. And I did try and talk the big kid out of wearing a wool dress to the park, because it’s hot outside. But for the most part, they are free to wear whatever they like, including stuff from the playclothes box. I wouldn’t let my kid head off to school wearing scuba goggles and a yellow striped tutu, but I am totally ok with this get-up for a walk to the fish and chip store.
3. Because a walk to said fish and chip store constitutes “making” dinner.
4. Because if bedtime drifts towards late, I don’t have to worry about school the next morning. And some nights instead of a bedtime story we head outside for a pajama walk. And there are fireflies.
5. Because peanut butter sandwiches, if served outside picnic style, constitute a gourmet feast.
6. Because I get to listen in on the big kid playing with the little kid, all day long. And, when I’m not breaking up fights, they make my mom heart explode with how disgustingly cute they are.
What about you guys? What’s your favourite part of summer so far?